Son’s of Scotland Collection heralds Stirling Distillery’s future plans to produce its own whisky onsite, with a goal of releasing our first single malt in 2024.
With production scheduled to start in 2021, the public will be able to purchase private casks of new-make spirit distilled right next to Stirling Castle, and become a part of a new chapter in Stirling’s whisky making history.
The Sons of Scotland collection will celebrate the history of Stirlingshire’s rich whisky making heritage. The first release from the Sons of Scotland series will see Stirling Distillery release single cask bottling features, each named after historical Stirlingshire distilleries.
Each release will be limited and numbered.
Arngibbon distillery operated in Kippen, Stirlingshire, for six short years in 1825 by John Morrison. Arngibbon itself was an estate of at least four farms and one country house, which was located southwest of Arnprior. At the time that the distillery was established there, the estate was the seat of the Forrester family. The distillery itself probably sat near a burn that flowed through the estate and fed into the River Forth.
Founded 1825 by George Drew. The distillery stood at Cashly – today Cashley Farm, on the A811 road, half a mile southwest of Buchlyvie, Stirlingshire. Process water came from the Cashley Burn, which then joined the Mye Burn to flow north-east into the Forth.
Back in the late 18th century, Stoneywood consisted of a mansion house and farm, plus other buildings, south of the River Carron west of Denny in Stirlingshire. Stonnywood distillery probably sat close to the river, in the 19th century a dyewood works and paper mill were built, with rail sidings on a branch line off the nearby main line. Today Stoneywood is Denny’s sole housing estate west of the M80 Glasgow-Stirling motorway, and Stoneywood House and farm, plus the mill, have long vanished. However, one riverside cul-de-sac is called Old Mill Way, as a faint reminder of the past.
Cambusbarron distillery is one of the earliest distilleries on record, with its roots in the mid-18th century, founded before 1741 – also known as Glenmurray Distillery and St. Thomas Well Distillery. The operation was located in its namesake village, a mile southwest of Stirling.
The precise spot is uncertain, however, the nearby Murrayhall lime works and a residential cul-de-sac called St Thomas’s Well are both nearby to the Raploch Burn. It is likely that the distillery was in the general vicinity of this watercourse, which is today mostly culverted on its way north-east to the Forth.